Sunday, January 19, 2014

red pepper hummus


There is always some extra space in my heart for one more roasted pepper recipe.
This one is ‘originally' recommended to quickly prepare when guests surprise you. No guests this time, only me. I was hungry and there was only some cream cheese left in the fridge. Half empty package of cream cheese with doubtable freshness. It was time for storecupboard SOS.
Actually this recipe is from a section storecupboard sos, Nigella Express or how to cope when there's no time to go shopping. But I used 'storefreezer' SOS as well, as I always have flame-roasted red peppers in the freezer. You just pop the bag of frozen peppers in hot boiling water and they will be ready for use in no time.
This recipe is easy to make and veeeeery tasty. It's a variation of hummus, so you will need a can of chickpeas as well.

recipe
350g roasted red peppers
410g can chickpeas
1 tsp paprika
30ml cream cheese (or a bit more, I used all that I had which was about 3 full tbsp)
2 tbsp olive oil
minced garlic (1/2 clove)
one tsp lemon juice
salt to taste

Put all the ingredients in a food processor and mix until smooth, until you get hummus like paste. Taste and add more lemon juice and salt if needed. 

That’s it, that is all you need to do to get silky red hummus. You can either spread hummus on crackers or on toast, or you can use it as a dip.  



























Not only I nursed myself that night, I treated myself next morning..  and there is more left in the fridge, if those unexpected guests arrive.



2 comments:

  1. This red hummus sounds and looks delicious! I have already soaked my garbanzo beans overnight, so I will not be needing canned ones, just some hours of cooking the garbanzos, but the stove does all the work, since there is no need to stir, so it will not be much effort. Just need to roast a few peppers in addition, and I will be ready to go red :)
    One little trick I read a few years ago on how to get the chick peas aka garbanzos softer when cooking is to add a bit of baking soda to the water they are cooking in. It really works.

    Thanks for the post!
    Sending you hugs from the land of the paprikas, from the city of Budapest, kisses, Ada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dear, so far I used only canned, lazy me :) but will definitely do the soaking soon. thanks for the soda advice!
      kisses

      Delete