Monday, June 29, 2015

roasted carrots & spiced up sweet corn



I guess I'm already busy listening the summer buzz as it’s been a while since I visited my own blog.
Season of long hot days officially started a week ago but I still have a need to turn the oven on, especially during rainy afternoons. 
Anyway, I am opening the season of no fuss meals, easy salads and lots of garden greens and sweet berries. 

Roasted carrots and cooked sweet corn as a light side dish. Simple indulgences.


























roasted carrots
1 bunch carrots
coarse sea salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 tea spoon dried thyme

Preheat oven to 200C.Wash carrots, I didn't bother to peel them as they were so young. Place carrots on a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle with salt and drizzle with  olive oil and dried thyme. Roast until they brown a bit on the outside (about 20 minutes). Let cool to room temperature. Place on a serving platter, drizzle few more drops of olive oil and serve with whatever is your wish. I know spiced up sweet corn is a great companion.

spiced up sweet corn
3 sweet corns in husks
30g unsalted butter, softened
1-2 teaspoons spice mix - Italian potato salad (I use Italian mix for potato salad. It's a mix of dried spices: salt, black pepper, onion, garlic, chilly flakes, thyme, basil and oregano. I buy these in Belgrade, in a shop called spice up). 
Peel back corn husks and remove silk. Place corns in a pot filled with cold water (just enough to cover the corns) and bring to a boil. Cook them until tender, 8-10 minutes. Turn off the heat and using long-handled tongs remove corns from the boiling water on a plate. Place knob of butter on each corn and sprinkle with mixture of spices. 

Simple indulgences it is.

2 comments: